California Performance Test Frequency Chart
Here, we have a California Performance Test frequency chart! If you are wondering what has been tested on the performance test portion of the California bar exam, this should help clarify it!
Note that beginning July 2017, California changed the format of its bar exam from a three-day exam to a two-day exam. Prior to July 2017, the California Bar Exam contained two three-hour performance tests. However, since July 2017, the California Bar Exam has only contained one ninety-minute performance test. (This performance test more closely resembles the performance tests administered by the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE).
California Performance Test Frequency Chart Takeaways
- First, the most common task by far is the objective memo. (From 2013 through February 2020, of the 24 tasks that have been administered, this has been tested 11 times or 45.8% of the time!)
- The persuasive brief is the second most popular task, but it is much less popular than the objective memo, having only been tested about 16% of the time (it has composed 4 of the past 24 tasks)
- The persuasive memo and response to a demand letter are the next in line for being most popular (each being tested 3 times since 2013, or 12.5% of the time)
- The persuasive letter is less popular (only being tested twice since 2013, or 8.33% of the time) – but it was tested semi-recently, in July 2017
- The opinion letter has only been tested once since February 2013, making it the least popular task (4.1% of the time) and further, it has not been tested recently
You should not ignore any type of performance test when you are preparing for the California Performance Test portion of the bar exam. However, hopefully this chart can help you focus your studies and show you the tasks most likely to appear on your exam!
Looking to Pass the California Bar Exam?
You can read more about our California Bar Exam services, including private tutoring, California bar exam one-sheets, and essay feedback here. We also have a California bar exam course that will be available for instant access on November 30, 2020.