Are you wondering if real MBE questions exist? The answer is yes! Many commercial courses, such as Barbri and Kaplan, do not distribute many real MBE questions. That is, they do not distribute questions that were used on past bar exams. Instead, they make up their own questions. There is nothing wrong with making up MBE questions, but it is much more worth your time to answer real MBE questions that have been released by the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE). (Wondering why commercial courses don’t offer released MBE questions? It probably has a lot to do with the licensing fee required by the NCBE, but you can read more here if you are curious!)
Why use real MBE questions?
There are a few reasons:
1. First, you will get used to the format. Real MBE questions are written in a very specific style that is different than some questions by commercial courses. Some students are completely thrown off their game when they walk into the multistate bar exam and see questions written in a completely different style.
2. You will see how the NCBE likes to test certain areas of law. They test some areas of law in the same way over and over again. Getting acclimated to these areas of law can be invaluable.
3. You will feel more confident and prepared for the bar exam. Every single bar exam, students that use real MBE questions say how much it helped them. They say that so many of the MBE questions were answerable. And they oftentimes attribute their passing score to practicing with real MBE questions.
Where do you find real MBE questions?
1. JD Advising MBE Question Exams
We have MBE questions available for purchase on our website, including a 200-question MBE test with detailed and lengthy answer explanations. We also offer released Civil Procedure questions. You can read more about that here.
We like this book because the explanations are very good. It is divided into about 60 questions per subject then has a full test at the end. It includes Civil Procedure questions. (But, these are not actual, released questions, as they were not available at the time of publishing; and these Civil Procedure questions are not reflective of the kind you will see on the MBE. You can find real Civil Procedure MBE questions here.) Currently, it is about $80.
Read our review of the Strategies and Tactics book here if you want to see the pros and cons of purchasing this book.
AdaptiBar advertises using actual, released MBE questions. This online-only course is ideal for students who like to answer questions on their phones or electronically. Just like the Strategies & Tactics for the MBE (Multistate Bar Exam) book, AdaptiBar does not have released Civil Procedure questions to our knowledge (it only has invented Civil Procedure questions). They have over 1,500 released questions and almost 2,000 questions total. The cost is about $400.
This is the organization that writes the MBE. They have four 100-question exams online (called MBE “Online Practice Exams” or MBE OPE’). Each MBE exam is $50. Note that these exams do not contain Civil Procedure questions. Some students are able to print the 100-question exams but it best to plan to do them online. It is also hard to answer questions one-by-one because you have to keep opening new windows to see the answer choices. Further, some students say that these questions are “too easy” and do not reflect the MBE questions that they see on the exam. The NCBE also offers a 210-question study aid for $85 (electronic) or $100 (print) (which we offer as well, here.) The problem with the study aid is that it does not come with answer explanations! Thus, it is very limited in its usefulness because you will not know why you answered a question correctly or incorrectly.
Remember to start with just one of these sources. If you buy questions from all available sources, you will see repeat questions since they are all getting their questions from the same sources!
Looking for additional MBE help?
If you are looking for MBE help, read our 10 expert MBE tips here. Check out our step-by-step guide to improving your MBE score, please review this post for an overview of tips. This is a great free MBE resource. If you would like to receive our MBE tip of the day emailed to you once a week, please fill out the form below.
Looking for MBE Help?
We offer the following MBE products and services:
- An MBE course, which comes with several MBE sessions, all 7 MBE outlines, our MBE diagnostic, MBE guide, and MBE one-sheets!
- MBE private tutoring for those seeking one-on-one help to pass the MBE.
- Real MBE questions! We offer the latest NCBE-released questions!
- Our MBE favorites series, which dissects the “favorite” issues the MBE tests. You have instant access to them online!
- An MBE Seminar for those looking for strategies to improve their MBE score.
- An MBE guide, which has a guaranteed 7-point score increase.
- An MBE diagnostic for those who are having trouble determining why their scores are not increasing.