How do you do this? Each time you draft an answer to an essay question, make sure to spend a good amount of time studying the model answer and comparing it to your answer. This is especially helpful if you grade your own answer with a different color pen using the model answer as your “key.” If you are on the computer, use a different color font.
Improve Your Bar Exam Essay Score: Ask yourself the following questions when you grade your answer:
- Did I spot the same issues that the model answer focused on or did I miss important issues? How will I make sure to spot all of the relevant issues in the future?
- Did I clearly lay out all of the rules and elements of law? If not, which rules do I need to review? (Don’t worry if you do not cite cases or exact rule numbers in your answer!)
- Did I apply the law to the facts?
- Was I concise in my analysis or did I spend too much time on issues that were not important?
- Did I arrive at the correct conclusion (or an arguably correct conclusion)?
- Overall, was my answer legible and well-organized?
If you are honest about your strengths and weaknesses, you will improve as you keep practicing!
Comparing your essay answers to the model answers has numerous benefits: First, you will naturally become better at issue spotting and stating the highly-tested rules of law in a clear manner.
Second, you will learn to think like an essay grader. You will learn to write in a clear and concise manner. You will naturally write what the graders want to hear because you will have practiced writing your essays with them in mind.
Looking to Pass the Bar Exam?
We offer the following products and services:
- A five-star UBE course that provides you with the best instruction, outlines, and released questions. Preview our course for free here to see sample lectures, outlines, and materials.
- COVID-19 SALE: Due to the pandemic, we are offering discounted rates on our On Demand and Premium Bar Exam Courses. Use coupon code COVIDOD at checkout to place your $99.99 deposit and lock in your $999.99 pricing for our On Demand Course (if you are ready to pay in full, use coupon code COVIDODFULL). If you are interested in our Premium course, use coupon code COVIDPREM at checkout to place your $499.99 deposit and lock in your $3499.99 pricing (if you are ready to pay in full, use coupon code COVIDPREMFULL).
- Bar Exam Private Tutoring services tailored to you.
- MBE services and products, including an MBE Course, MBE Seminar, and MBE One-Sheets and real MBE questions.
- MEE services and products, including an MEE course, MEE seminar, and MEE One-Sheets.
- MPT services and products, including an MPT seminar, MPT guide and private tutoring.