JD Advising Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice was last updated October 9, 2020.
For any questions or concerns relating to data privacy, please contact:
JD Advising, Inc.
Attn: Data Privacy
26862 Woodward Ave, Suite 202, Royal Oak, MI 48067
JD Advising, Inc. (“JD Advising,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) respects the privacy of our users and all those who submit personal information to JD Advising either through this website or by other means. Accordingly, we have provided this privacy notice (Notice) to inform you of how we collect, use, share, and protect your personal information; a copy of this Notice can be found at https://www.jdadvising.com/privacy-policy/. By using or accessing JD Advising’s website (“Website”) or otherwise submitting your information to us, you understand the terms of this Notice. If you do not agree to the terms of this Notice, do not continue to use the Website or provide us with your personal information.
Collection of Your Information
When you use the Website or present a physical form to one of our representatives, you may choose to provide JD Advising with certain personal information (PI) about yourself. Other PI may automatically be collected by your use of the Website. Further, we may collect other information about your use of the Website that is not PI. Generally, PI means information about an individual who can be identified from use of that information (or from that information when combined with other information in our possession or likely to come into our possession), including information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household.. Specific types of PI include names, physical addresses, mailing addresses, social security numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, bank account numbers, and driver’s license numbers, and IP addresses. PI does not include aggregated or anonymized data, or data otherwise specifically excluded from current data privacy laws.
In the interest of transparency, we have provided the following list of the categories of PI that we collect and some examples of the information that would fall into each category:
Except for your IP address, we only collect PI you voluntarily provide to us:
- Personal Identifiers (Name, law school, phone number, email, mailing address);
- Customer Records (Name, mailing, address(credit card data is collected through third party payment processors));
- Usage Data (IP address, web browser, and webpages visited on our Website);
- Commercial Data (information about your attendance at or inquiry about a JD Advising hosted event, inquiry about our bar preparatory or study services or contacting us through our Website with other inquiries);
- Education Information (1l GPA, jurisdiction of bar exam, graduation month/year, repeat bar taker status).
JD Advising’s Use and Sharing of PI
Generally, we use the PI we collect in one or more of the following ways:
- Website administration,
- To improve our services,
- As required by law,
- In other ways consistent with your consent.
We also may share some of the PI we collect, as described in this section of the Notice:
- We may use Usage Data to provide the services you have requested or authorized and to help us manage the availability and connectivity of the Website;
- We may use Personal Identifiers, Usage Data, Customer Records, Commercial Data and Education Information to improve our services and offerings, to inform you about our services or service updates, and to provide individualized help and care to our customers;
- We may use Personal Identifiers and Customer Records to comply with a law, legal process, or regulation, as well as law enforcement authorities, other government officials or other third parties pursuant to a subpoena, a court order or other legal process;
- We may use Personal Identifiers and Customer Records to protect the vital interests of a person, to protect our property, services, and legal rights, and to support our audit, compliance, and governance functions;
- We may use Educational Information to update your law school on your performance (this is only done upon receiving specific consent from you);
- We may share all of the above listed categories of PI with buyers or other successors in the event of a sale or transfer of some or all of our business or assets;
- We may share all of the above listed categories of PI if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our clients, or others.
This Notice does not restrict our collection, use, or disclosure of any aggregated information or information that does not identify, or cannot be reasonably linked to, any individual. For example, we may choose to share aggregated data with unaffiliated third parties, such as law schools, in an anonymous form that does not allow the third party to associate the information we shared as being your PI.
To be clear, we will not collect additional categories of PI or use the PI we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice. Except as described in this Notice, we do not sell, share, distribute, lease, or transfer your PI to any third parties.
In compliance with applicable law and industry standards, we have put in place reasonable physical, electronic, and administrative procedures to safeguard the PI we collect. The PI we collect is stored on our servers located in the United States. We take reasonable steps and regularly assess our privacy and security policies and procedures and comply with laws designed to protect the privacy and security of your PI. Unfortunately, transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure; accordingly we cannot guarantee the security of any such information. Any electronic transmission of information is at your own risk
Retention of Information
We will retain your PI only for as long as is necessary for the purposes set forth herein. If you elect to terminate your relationship with us, we will retain your data for a period of six months in case you decide to restart your relationship with us. If you would like us to delete your data before the end of the six month period, you can request that we do so. However, we may retain and use your PI to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations (for example, if we are required to retain your data to comply with applicable laws), resolve disputes, and enforce our legal agreements and policies.
We will retain your Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for approximately six months, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Website or if we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods. Usage Data is data collected automatically that is either generated by your use of the Website or from the Website infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of your visit to a web page).
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies and pixels or to indicate when a cookie or pixel is being used. However, if you do not accept cookies and pixels for the Website, you may not be able to use some portions of the Website.
Do Not Track Signals and Requests
Do not track signals and requests are sent from your browser to websites you visit indicating you do not want to be tracked or monitored. In most circumstances you need to affirmatively elect to turn on the do not track signals or requests. Websites are not required to accept these signals or requests, and many do not. At this time, this Website does not honor do not track signals or requests.
We provide links to other websites, plug-ins or applications for informational purposes, for your convenience, or to offer additional services such as payment processing, (Linked Websites). Linked Websites are independent from our Website and are not governed by this Notice. We do not review, maintain, endorse, or control the Linked Websites or the information, software, products, or services available on the Linked Websites. We also have no control over the Linked Website’s privacy policies or posted privacy notices. If you decide to access any of the Linked Websites, you do so at your own risk. If you have any questions about a Linked Website’s privacy policies or advertising, you should contact them directly.
International Transfers and Processing of PI
We store information received through or by our Website in the United States. If you are providing the information from another country, you understand that the information will be transferred,
stored and used in the United States. Your consent to this Notice followed by your use of the Website represents your agreement to that transfer.
Protection for Children (Minors)
We have no intention of collecting PI from minors (children under the age of 18. If we become aware PI from a minor under 18 has been collected without the consent of the parent or guardian of such minor, we will use all reasonable efforts to delete such information.
Changes to the Notice
We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to amend this Notice at any time. If at any time in the future we plan to use PI in a way that differs from what is described in this Notice or choose to amend this Notice, we will post those changes on the Website. Your continued use of the Website following the posting of any changes to this Notice constitutes affirmative acceptance of those changes.