Failing the bar exam can be a sad, lonely, sick feeling. We understand this deeply and have a note to those who fail the bar exam.
We also know that sometimes a good quote can change a perspective, or reflect one, or, if nothing else, make you feel less alone. A good quote is sometimes motivational. Sometimes understanding. Sometimes it convinces you to move on, or to stay where you are, or to keep fighting. Sometimes it convinces you of nothing but just reflects how you feel in an eloquent way when you cannot exactly wrap words around your feelings.
We have copied a few Rainer Maria Rilke quotes that we love below. Rainer Maria Rilke was a bohemian Austrian novelist and poet who was alive in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s.These quotes are, by and large, not motivational one-liners. They are sentences or paragraphs that express hard truths well. They are true and difficult and lifey. And that is why we love them. Although he was not writing to people who didn’t pass the bar exam, many of my bar exam students have found these quotes especially helpful and eye-opening. Some may resonate with you. Some may not. I’ve listed a few of my favorite quotes here and bolded portions I like the best.
Quotes for those Who Failed the Bar Exam:
By Rainer Maria Rilke
“And if only we arrange our life in accordance with the principle which tells us that we must always trust in the difficult, then what now appears to us as the most alien will become our most intimate and trusted experience. How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love.”
“Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.”
“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror
Just keep going
No feeling is final”
“Why do you want to shut out of your life any uneasiness, any misery, any depression, since after all you don’t know what work these conditions are doing inside you? Why do you want to persecute yourself with the question of where all this is coming from and where it is going? Since you know, after all, that you are in the midst of transitions and you wished for nothing so much as to change. If there is anything unhealthy in your reactions, just bear in mind that sickness is the means by which an organism frees itself from what is alien; so one must simply help it to be sick, to have its whole sickness and to break out with it, since that is the way it gets better.”
“Do not assume that he who seeks to comfort you now, lives untroubled among the simple and quiet words that sometimes do you good. His life may also have much sadness and difficulty, that remains far beyond yours. Were it otherwise, he would never have been able to find these words.”
“It seems to me that almost all our sadnesses are moments of tension, which we feel as paralysis because we no longer hear our astonished emotions living. Because we are alone with the unfamiliar presence that has entered us; because everything we trust and are used to is for a moment taken away from us; because we stand in the midst of a transition where we cannot remain standing. That is why the sadness passes: the new presence inside us, the presence that has been added, has entered our heart, has gone into its innermost chamber and is no longer even there, – is already in our bloodstream. And we don’t know what it was. We could easily be made to believe that nothing happened, and yet we have changed, as a house that a guest has entered changes. We can’t say who has come, perhaps we will never know, but many signs indicate that the future enters us in this way in order to be transformed in us, long before it happens. And that is why it is so important to be solitary and attentive when one is sad: because the seemingly uneventful and motionless moment when our future steps into us is so much closer to life than that other loud and accidental point of time when it happens to us as if from outside. The quieter we are, the more patient and open we are in our sadnesses, the more deeply and serenely the new presence can enter us, and the more we can make it our own, the more it becomes our fate.”
“We must accept our reality as vastly as we possibly can; everything, even the unprecedented, must be possible within it. This is in the end the only kind of courage that is required of us: the courage to face the strangest, most unusual, most inexplicable experiences that can meet us… only someone who is ready for everything, who doesn’t exclude any experience, even the most incomprehensible, will live the relationship with another person as something alive and will himself sound the depths of his own being.”
“Let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right, always.”
If you have any quotes you especially like, please feel free to post in the comments below or email us!
Looking for Bar Exam services?
We offer the following resources:
- Tutoring Services – tailored to you: To read more about our bar exam tutoring services (including MEE and MPT services), please check out our bar exam private tutoring page.
- UBE Course: We offer an elite, personalized small-group Uniform Bar Exam course that fills up quickly! If you are interested in this course, we recommend early application! Please read more about the course here.
- MBE Services: We have several MBE services, including an MBE Favorites series which covers the highly tested topics on the MBE, MBE one-sheets,an MBE Guide (that comes with a 7-point increase guarantee!), an MBE diagnostic if you are not sure where you are struggling. We also offer a 14-session MBE course, MBE private tutoring that is tailored to you, and a half-day MBE Seminar. We also have real MBE questions for sale. Not sure which one is right for you? Contact us!
- MEE Services: We offer several MEE services, including an MEE Course (which covers highly tested MEE subjects), an MEE seminar that covers the highly tested areas of law on the MEE as well as predictions! We recommend early application if you are interested in this option. We also have highly regarded MEE one-sheets and essay feedback.
- MPT services: We offer MPT services including private tutoring, essay feedback, and an MPT Seminar. We also sell MPT books with questions, answers, and model student answers and an MPT guide which gives you a step-by-step approach to the MPT!