Topic 12: What Will Happen on MPRE Test Day?
What is the format of the MPRE?
On MPRE test day, you will have two hours to answer 60 multiple-choice questions. You should plan on spending two minutes per question.
Each multiple-choice question has four answers. Points are given for correct answers. Points are not subtracted for incorrect answers so make sure to mark an answer choice for every question. (In other words, you will not lose anything by making an educated guess!) There are no breaks during the MPRE exam.
MPRE test day policies to be aware of
Here are a few test day policies you should be aware of. Please read all of the updated test day policies on the NCBE site here. We list some of the key ones below!
You need to bring a government-issued photo ID.
The NCBE states: Each examinee must present a valid government-issued ID that is current and contains a recent recognizable photo and the examinee’s first and last name and date of birth. The following are NOT acceptable forms of ID for admission to the test center: Social Security card, social insurance card, birth certificate, credit card (including those with photo), ID expired for more than 90 days, photocopied ID, employee ID (including government employees), or student ID.
You need to bring a passport-type photograph attached to your MPRE admission ticket.
The NCBE directions state the following:
- A passport-type photograph is required of all examinees. The photograph must be no larger than 2×2 inches and no smaller than 1×1 inch. It must have been taken within the last six months and must show only your face and shoulders. The photograph must be clear enough so that there is no doubt about your identity. Digital photographs printed on photo paper will be accepted.
- Attach the passport-type photograph to the designated box on your MPRE Admission Ticket using glue or tape. Do not use staples. Print (in block letters) your name, test date, NCBE Number, and test center code on the back of the photograph before you attach it to your MPRE Admission Ticket in case it should become detached from your ticket.
- All Admission Tickets and attached photographs will be collected on the day of the exam and will not be returned to examinees.
If you do not present both a valid government-issued ID AND the required passport-type photograph, you will be denied admission to the testing room and will forfeit your test registration fee.
You can bring the following items into the testing center:
The following items are allowed in a clear plastic bag that is a maximum size of one gallon:
- valid ID;
- car key fob (without a data port);
- hygiene products;
- non-mechanical pencils;
- pencil sharpener;
- unwrapped cough drops or hard candy;
- medication, glucose tablets, or gel.
In addition, medical aids that are necessary to ambulate (cane, crutches, walker, wheelchair, service animal, prosthetic limb, cast, brace, or sling), are necessary to communicate (hearing aid, voice amplifier), or are required for medical or health reasons (heart monitor, Epinephrine auto-injector, insulin pump, glucose monitor, blood sugar testing kit, small inhaler, TENS unit) are allowed but may be inspected by test center supervisors.
You are prohibited from bringing the following items into the testing center:
- Any electronic device, including but not limited to:
- cell or mobile phones (leave your phone in your car!)
- digital watches or timers
- fitness trackers
- media players
- language translators
- picture-taking devices
- firearms or other weapons
- written materials (including books and notes)
- scratch paper or paper of any kind
- mechanical pencils, mechanical erasers, pens, or highlighters
- briefcases, handbags, or backpacks of any kind
- non-electronic watches or timers of any kind
- earplugs or earmuffs of any kind
- hats and/or hoods (except religious apparel) may not be worn on the head
- food or beverages (unless pre-authorized for medical reasons)
Looking to Pass the MPRE?
We offer the following services:
- A free MPRE Course which provides you with high-quality and tailored instruction focused on the highly tested areas of the MPRE. You can also get real MPRE questions with the course here.
- MPRE private tutoring to help you learn everything you need to pass the MPRE, including an MPRE outline and an MPRE study plan tailored to your individualized needs.
- A variety of excellent and free MPRE resources to help you conquer the MPRE.