As of 2017, 45 jurisdictions administer the MPT! Three jurisdictions will soon also be using the multistate performance test as a component of their exam (Massachusetts, North Carolina, and Kentucky) making the MPT a component of the vast majority of state bar exams.
Note that some jurisdictions, such as California, administer a performance test, but it is not technically called an “MPT” or “multistate performance test” because the state invents its own performance test, rather than using one invented by the National Conference of Bar Examiners.
Will more states administer the MPT?
With more states adopting the Uniform Bar Exam or considering a performance test as a component of its exam, we expect that eventually, every state will administer the MPT portion or something like it.
How much is the MPT portion worth?
In Uniform Bar Exam states, it is worth 20% of an examinee’s score. In most non-Uniform Bar Exam states, it is worth about 10% of an examinee’s score.
What is the MPT?
The MPT is different than most other bar exam components as it is a “closed universe” test. That is, you are not expected to know any law going into the MPT. Rather, the law is given to you in a “library” and facts are given to you in a “file.” You will then be told to complete a lawyerly task, such as drafting a memo, brief, or letter. For more information on what the MPT is, please see this post.
Looking for MPT or Uniform Bar Exam services?
We offer the following resources:
- Uniform Bar Exam Tutoring Services – tailored to you: To read more about our Uniform Bar Exam tutoring services (including MEE and MPT services), please click on our Uniform Bar Exam Services page.
- UBE Course: We offer an elite, personalized small-group Uniform Bar Exam course that fills up quickly! If you are interested in this course, we recommend early application! Please read more about the course here.
- MBE Services: We have several MBE services, including MBE one-sheets, an MBE Guide (that comes with a 7-point increase guarantee!), an MBE diagnostic if you are not sure where you are struggling. We also offer a 14-session MBE course, MBE private tutoring that is tailored to you, and a half-day MBE Seminar. We also have real MBE questions for sale. Not sure which one is right for you? Contact us!
- MEE Services: We offer several MEE services, including an MEE Course (which covers highly tested MEE subjects), an MEE seminar that covers the highly tested areas of law on the MEE as well as predictions!. We recommend early application if you are interested in this option. We also have highly regarded MEE one-sheets and essay feedback.
- MPT services: We offer MPT services including private tutoring, essay feedback, and an MPT Seminar. We also sell MPT books with questions, answers, and model student answers.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at your convenience.
Ashley Heidemann is the owner and founder of JD Advising. Ms. Heidemann scored over a 180 on the Michigan Bar Exam in February of 2011 after graduating as the #1 student in her law school class of over 200 students in 2011. She, as well as a team of others, offer bar exam courses, seminars, and private tutoring for bar exam students nationwide. This includes services for the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE) and Michigan bar exam. Please click here to contact her company, with any questions.